Saturday, October 25, 2014

❤ If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor | Book Review ❤


If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor

Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Released Date: September 1, 2005
Pages: 288
Target Audience: Teens, Young adults, Romance, Fairy tale
Format & Source: Hardcover from my Grandpa/Aunt

Melissa Kantor is the author of Confessions of a Not It Girl, which was chosen as the Booklist Top Ten Romance Novel for Youth in 2004.

SUMMARY: (cr. Goodread)
Wicked stepmother? Check. Evil stepsisters? Check. Miserable life? Check.

Lucy Norton’s life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad’s always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She’s burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn’t she at least deserve to get the handsome prince?

Before Reading:
Before I actually read the summary in the inside flap of the book, I thought this would be one of those 'old school' books with a plain and boring plot. The title was pretty clear to me that is book is a making of Cinderella. Even after when I finished the book, I still don't see a connection between the cover picture and the story line.. For those like me who judge books base on their cover, don't miss understand the black and white theme on the front!

While Reading:
My feels were all over the places and I cried a lot, especially the part when her dad gave Lucy her mother's painting for her, I felt as if somehow I can relates to that pain. My mom wasn't always by my side throughout my whole childhood, and I was going through a face of puberty, which left me thinking I was useless and no one cares about me, when in reality, I was the one who is pushing others away.

This book was written in the third person point of view. For me, I would pick this book as a Young Adult Romance Contemporary Chick Lit! I like a how from the beginning, she was a selfish and rude girl, and toward the end, she changed completely, she became way nicer and think of other people before herself. 


Evaluation:
I give this book 3 buns out of 5 buns!

This book contains a lot of emotional teen issues, but it also made me giggle like a little kids and shudder at the cheesy but cute romance. I don't know why a lot of people does not like this book, but this book was one of the first young adult romance book I've ever read, and it inspired me to read more books like this. Yes, the plot was predictable and the character wasn't really 'friendly', but I love the message that the author wants to leave for the readers. I'll definitely check out her other books too.

If you want a humorous but emotional YA Romance all in one, this would be PERFECT for you. I think age from 13 to 18 would like this book. 

Quote(s) I like:
- "After all, what did Prince Charming know about Cinderella besides her shoe size?"


Review by Tran Vo

No comments:

Post a Comment